Using Coral to Schedule
The OpenCoral Software System (Coral) is a suite of software tools that is designed to help with the management and operation of MARL instruments. It includes the following key capabilities:Equipment reservation: A qualified user is able to reserve an instrument from anywhere with Internet access. Users will need to specify the account to charge for the session MARL when making a reservation.
Therefore, MARL and Coral must have your valid account information before your use of any instruments. Please allow at least one work day for MARL staff to enter your account information in Coral system. Equipment Logging via Enable/Disable: Qualified users must enable an instrument via Coral in order to use it and then disable it after use. Coral will automatically record the usage time. Remember, in order to enable an instrument, a valid account is required. Report equipment problems: If you encounter a problem using MARL equipment, you can file a report via Coral. MARL staff will be notified automatically.
You may use the above link to make equipment reservations and check equipment status from anywhere. To enable/disable instruments, you should be sitting at the instrument on a MARL computer.
1. Click on the above link to go to the Webswing Coral webpage. Coral runs under Java and Webswing eliminates the need to have Java on your computer.
2. Enter your ISU NetID and password to login (i.e., your ISU e-mail username and password).Back to top
Make a reservation
1. After login, you should see the Coral main window with the equipment tree on the left. Click on the instrument to reserve. Then, on the time table, click and drag to select the block of time, then click on "Reservation Actions" and "Make".
2. You will be prompted to select your project and account. Normally a user would have only one project - the PI's name. A user may have multiple accounts authorized under that PI. Select the account for that session from the drop-down menu and click "OK". Leave Process as "default".
3. Now you should see your NetID in the slots selected. This completes the reservation. Other users can also see this resevation on the time table.
4. Once you have completed making a reservation, you may exit Coral by clicking on "Window", then "Exit" and closing your browser tab/window.Back to top
Enable/disable an instrument
1. Some of the MARL instruments are interlocked so that they may not even be used without first enabling them. The monitor may be switched off or locked. In all cases, a user must log into Coral and enable the instrument to start logging the session.Select the instrument on the equipment tree, then click on "Equipment Actions" and "Enable".
2. You will be prompted again to select your project and account. Make sure the account information is correct and then click "OK".
3. You should now see your NetID in parentheses next to the instrument name. This means you have successfully enabled the instrument and it is ready for use (e.g., computer monitor turned on).
4. When you finish using an instrument, it is VERY IMPORTANT that you disable it by clicking on "Equipment Actions" and "Disable". You will be prompted to verify experimental parameters. Next, click "Save and Disable", the monitor will be switched off and your NetID will disappear from the equipment tree.
5. Logout of Coral by clicking "Window" and then "Exit".
Report a problem
1. Should you encounter a problem operating an instrument, you can report the problem to MARL staff via Coral.
2. Select the instrument with problem, then click on "Equipment Actions" and "Report Problem".
3. You will be presented with a window where you can describe the problem. Fill it in and then click "Submit".
4. You should see the icon for the instrument change.
Icons indicating the different possible statuses of an instrument are shown below.