Billing Questions and Answers
How often are invoices processed?
The facility processes billing on a monthly basis during the first week following the month of service and are emailed to the billing contact of your department or institution.
Why can't invoices be issued outside the billing cycle?
Processing invoices outside the normal billing cycle increases the chance of errors and is time consuming. Our system is automated and when an individual order is pulled out of the system, the likelihood of a duplicate billing and other billing issues increases. We strongly encourage all users to plan ahead so that individualized billing is avoided.
Who receives the invoices for the orders that I submit?
Invoices are emailed to the billing contact of your department or institution. Please make sure your information is current.
My accountant didn't receive a copy of the invoice. Who do I contact?
Please contact Anne Byrne at email@example.com or (515) 294-2178 to receive a copy of an invoice.
Will you pre-bill for services not rendered?
No - Pre-billing for services is not allowed regardless of the situation.
What are the methods of payment for an internal user?
Internal ISU account number. If you have the authority to use an internal ISU account number for services, please provide the account number at the time the order is placed. The invoice will be sent to the department that administers the account.
What are the methods of payment for an external user?
- Check - Payments can be made by check within thirty (30) days of receipt of an invoice. The payment shall be submitted to Iowa State University, Treasurer's Office, 1220 Beardshear Hall, Ames, IA 50011-2044. External rates apply.
- MasterCard or VISA - We do not keep credit card information on file due to security reasons. Credit card information is only received at the time an invoice has been issued and is ready to be paid. All credit card information is shredded after the payment transaction has been processed.
If you would like to pay for your invoice by credit card, we would kindly ask you to call the number provided in the email that you received with your invoice. External rates apply. Please DO NOT email your credit card information, type a credit card number in the account number field box on the work order or leave your credit card number on voicemail
Who qualifies for internal rates?
- ISU faculty and staff - A valid ISU account number must be provided at the time of the work order to be eligible for internal rates.
- ISU collaborator - An individual who is collaborating with an ISU faculty member and is using an internal account for payment.
- ISU Research Park company - The company must contact the business director at the Research Park for more information.
- Faculty from the University of Iowa or University of Northern Iowa - A purchase order must be provided at the time the order is placed and the method of payment must be either check or wire transfer. If paying by credit card, internal rates do not apply.
I am a faculty member from another institution who is working with someone from Iowa State. The services will be paid by my institution. Can I receive internal rates?
No - In order to receive internal rates, the services must be paid with an internal ISU account number.
I am a faculty member from an Iowa regent university. Can I receive internal rates?
Yes - A purchase order must be provided at the time the order is placed and the method of payment must be either check or wire transfer. If paying by credit card, internal rates do not apply.
I am a faculty member from a non-regent university/college in Iowa. Can I receive internal rates?
No - In order to receive internal rates, the services must be paid with an internal account number. Faculty members from other universities or colleges do not have internal ISU account numbers to use for payment.
I am an ISU faculty member and I want to pay for my services by a personal check or credit card. Can I receive internal rates?
No - In order to receive internal rates, the services must be paid with an internal account number.
I am an external user that would like to work with MARL. How do I proceed?The process is the same for both internal and external users.
- Visit the sample submission web page.
- Create a profile at your first visit providing contact information for yourself and your accounting office.
- Submit a sample. Doing so will indicate your agreement to MARL's terms and conditions (downloadable PDF).
- Discuss your work with MARL staff to ensure that we can perform the characterization that you want and that it can be performed in an efficient and meaningful manner. The contact information for each type of equipment can be found on the right side of the page for each instrument.
For questions about estimates or which rates are applicable to services, please contact:
Warren Straszheim - Facility Manager
Materials Analysis and Research Laboratory
23 Town Engineering Building,
Ames, IA 50011 (515) 294-8187.
For questions about invoices, payments or credit card information, please contact: Anne Byrne - Accountant, Office of Biotechnology 1210 Molecular Biology Building 2437 Pammel Drive Ames, IA 50011-1079, (515) 294-2178